Tuesday, September 24, 2019

New York Day 11: Headed Home


The next day it was time to go home. We had a reasonable flight time, which mean we had to be leaving the apartment at about 7am. So we still were up at 5am, which is early but it especially sounds early when you think that it was 2 am Arizona time. Actually we were fortunate to get that time because the intial flight that we booked was cancelled at they put us on a ridiculously early flight, departing at 6 am. When you factor in getting to the airport early, leaving the aparment with a generous time, and getting up with enough time to finish packing everything, it wasn't going to work for us. John called the airline and complained, so they switched us for free to a later flight. The only downside was that this wasn't a direct flight anymore. We had a short layover in Chicago, which really wasn't a big deal.

The whole crew on the airplane. Not a spectacle at all with a stroller, 9 bags, and a transport chair. The kids were thrilled to find out that the return airplanes had screens in the seats where they could watch whatever they wanted. They loved this, but it definitely reinforced my belief that watching TV makes my kids grumpy. They definitely were so grumpy after.


Last view of the NY skyline. 

One thing that was kind of fun about the way home was that we flew over some of the great lakes. Whoa, those really are huge! I couldn't see either shore at some points. That's crazy!
I loved this trip. Right before we left I told a couple of friends that I hoped I got to a place where I was glad we went on this vacation. (I was really overwhelmed by all of the logistics.) But despite what felt like a thousand hours planning and researching I really am so happy we made these memories together. Now we are just asking ourselves where we want to go next.

No comments: