Sunday, February 26, 2017

Miriam at 5 1/2

Oh, I love my little buddy Miriam. I feel like since she is in half-day Kindergarten it really gives us an opportunity to bond, like we wouldn't if she were in full day. Holland will nap after lunch until just about the time that Eliza comes home from school. During that time we do preschool--or homeschool she would say. Basically, like Eliza, Miriam's kindergarten class isn't exactly challenging for her, so I try to make sure she has some low-key, but structured time doing academics in the afternoon. She is actually really good about it and totally on board, way more than Eliza was. Maybe it is because it is just she and I so I can give her more attention? Maybe it is because I have chilled out or am more patient, or something?

Miriam recently lost her first tooth. She eagerly anticipated this for a good long while. She was so adamant that the tooth fairy wasn't real, and it was just her parents, but that didn't mean that she wasn't fully planning on getting some money for that tooth.

Miriam is here helping me write this post for a minute. So, lets do a little interview with her.

Favorites:
food: mac and cheese
dessert: chocolate ice cream with chocolate chips in it
story: A to Z Mysteries, The Golden Goose
movie/show: Sofia the First
activity at school: writer's workshop
activity at home: play Uno, do a craft, listen to audiobooks, jump on trampoline
friend: my family
place to go: the park that has rides
color: pink and purple, I can't choose which

What is one thing that you are really good at?
cartwheels, eating, reading, being a good student

What are you looking forward to this year?
Jumping on the trampoline, learning my times-tables (even though I am a Kindergartener)

What is your favorite scripture story?
Remembering when Joseph Smith saw the Lord at the First Vision

What do you want to do better this year?
Learn the rest of the times tables, I know my ones, twos, and my doubles. Also, 3x6 and 6x3. I also know 7x3 and 3x7.

Thanks, Miriam for that great interview. This weekend we have a multiplication machine borrowed from Eliza's teacher, so multiplication is on the brain. :)

One funny thing about Miriam is that she doesn't really like oranges, but she loves grapefruit. She always yells in excitement if I suggest that she can have some.

Miriam has so much personality. She loves, LOVES listening to the A to Z mysteries on audiobook. So much so that the other day she said to me "Mommy, if you hear about robberies on the news, tell me about it. I want to be like the A to Z mystery/calendar mystery kids. They help solve problems, and sometimes it's a joke." What a cutie.

Another time we were talking about sharing the gospel and Miriam contributed, "If there is a boy with guns pointed at you, then you should not ask him if he wants to learn about the gospel."

Sometimes, she still gets frustrated about reading, especially trying to read words that she isn't familiar with. One day she exclaimed, "It would be easier, if I just forgot the words I know!" That's the logic of a 5 and a half year old.

One day Miriam shared with me, "I don't want to have kids because I don't want to work hard. I am going to have zero kids, or maybe 100." Haha!!

Some of my other favorites is when she comforted me when I burned a tortilla on the stove. She hugged me and really tried to make me feel better. For the record I wasn't really upset, but I love it when she shows some sweet empathy. Another day she could tell I was stressed, "Mommy come sit on the couch with me, and I'll read books to you." Sweet girl.

A while ago, Miriam composed a song on the piano, "Come now, my sis." I love it.
When Ellie started her Spanish class, any word that Miriam didn't know became a Spanish word. On the dishwasher she discovered the word 'autosense.' She told us that it was Spanish for 'normal wash."'

I would still say that one of Miriam's defining characteristics is how big her emotions are. She is really happy or really sad. She is really compassionate or doesn't care at all. She is loving or trying to push your buttons. We are concerned about what this will bring us in a few years, considering we are already having to employ strategies for us and her to help with these emotions.

We love her to death though! Miriam is so fun! I feel so lucky to be her mom!






No comments: