Last August we started a goal to read the Book of Mormon. We decided we would need some rewards to keep the interest level up for the kiddos so we printed out a sheet with activity ideas for the end of each book. For the end of First Nephi we went bowling.

This was super fun! Miriam says it was kind of noisy there. I pushed the ball down the ramp. I knocked down so many pins.
It had been so long since we went bowling that it took me a few frames to get the hang of it again (read: gutterballs). I love out of the ordinary family activities, especially when it seems like the kiddos are earning it in some way.
I don't have pictures of any of these, but we have also done an ice cream party for 2nd Nephi, went to the Olive Garden for Jacob, had a late night party for Enos, did a service project for our neighbor for Mosiah, and just last night went to McDonalds for Jarom, Omni, Words of Mormon. (For the record, we remembered why we never take our kids to McDonalds. I felt like I was seriously contributing to childhood obesity, not to mention our obesity. Although the kids LOVED it!)
We just got past halfway through the Book of Mormon. And aside from the parties and rewards, it really has been a good experience. It is a good opportunity to have the children become more familiar with scripture language. Miriam is just learning to read, but she whips out "scripture" words just as readily as she does normal words (i.e. nevertheless, behold, repent, etc.).
At the New Year our bishop challenged each family to read the Book of Mormon this year. We decided not to start over, but just to keep going. Some nights are better than others, but I definitely feel we are being blessed as a family because of our scripture reading.



No comments:
Post a Comment