Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sit Toilet

This maybe isn't the delicate post in the world, but I felt like this is all we have been living and breathing these last few weeks so I have to post about it.
A couple of weeks ago we went to Ellie's two year check up. At that appointment we were given a little handout on potty training. Included on there was a list of signs that indicated that your child was ready to be potty trained. We looked at the list and decided that Ellie was doing those things, so we decided to give it a try.
We did about two weeks of putting her on the toilet really regularly, but still keeping her in a diaper. Then last week we started her in training pants (just the cotton ones with extra absorption). She has picked it up a lot better than I thought she would. I honestly thought we would give it a good try, and she wouldn't make any progress so we'd try again in six months, but turns out she was ready. It wasn't easy though, especially at first. I can't tell you the number of hours we have spent sitting on the edge of that bathtub reading stories, singing songs, and letting her make faces at herself in the mirror.
Ellie didn't really get the whole reward thing at first, but she sure does now. In fact sometimes she'll only go part way in order to maximize the rewards that she gets. Fortunately the rewards are singing a song or reading a story, so they don't take too much effort or money.
So she hasn't had an accident in 5 days so we're crossing our fingers that we're most of the way there. She still wears a diaper while she sleeps, but I hear that takes longer.

Check out the pink underwear hanging out rather than a diaper! Yes, that is her swimming suit bottom over her pants.
So we're pretty excited to be at the point now where she tells us if she needs to go, and we go stick her on. I think it is pretty cute to hear her say "sit toilet."
Ironically, as Ellie is gaining more and more bladder control, I feel like I am losing mine. This baby just really likes to kick that direction. Lovely.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, i know what you mean.. I feel i'm losing bladder control too.. Oh, wait, i didn't finish your sentence.

dixon.mary said...

I can tell my kids are ready to be trained when they say "Mom, change my diaper."
:)

Ella said...

Yay! You'll only have to change one in diapers at a time!!! (That's gunna save a a lot of $$$ too.) Good job Ellie!

Normz said...

Haha, bladder problems. I had a friend who called me that in high school. Some friend!

Jebbie said...

So cool! And, the underwear is very cute, I must say. I am very impressed with your parenting skills and Ellie's abilities.

Sisters said...

Yay for Ellie! Give that kid some chips!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

I love your idea of singing a song or reading a story as a reward. That's cute. Hooray Ellie (and Kylee and John)! Hopefully this ton of work really will pay off now!

Millie said...

I am now inspired... almost. As soon as I get my house in order, then I "might" just really get on the wagon with Lindsay. She can actually take off most of her clothes now. I should give it a go. :)