November started with us getting a big pit in our yard. Since Kayla had just gone through this process of putting in a semi inground pool, we asked a lot of advice. Maybe her number one recommendation was to hire out digging the pit. They didn't have good enough access to their backyard to hire this out, and so they did it themselves. It was a chore and a half. Thankfully we were able to get a recommendation of someone to hire from a landscaper guy in our ward.
We ended up getting a bid that was substantially lower than we thought it would be. It was such a relief! Turns out that he actually made a mistake with his instrumentation so he bid too low. We ended up splitting the difference with him. We had to laugh though that this isn't the first time this had happened. When we did our big dirt project a few years ago, it ended up being way way more work than the guy anticipated, so we got a steal of a deal on the labor. This happened again with this excavator guy. We just joked that everyone thinks projects in our yard will be less work than they are. Especially us! So these people are in good company.
I was so nervous about this project. Now, months later we still haven't swam in the pool. I hope at some point I will be glad that we did this!
The next day we worked all day leveling this pit. It was so discouraging, but it ended up being okay. We worked for hours with no visible progress, but then I ended up running an errand, and while I was gone John just raked the whole thing. For some reason, it really made the whole thing seem so much more manageable. Like I saw that this was going to be possible. The leveling was intense though. This whole process was so so much leveling. I didn't know that there could be so much leveling!
That evening Holland and I went clothes shopping for our Mommy Daughter date. We went to Target and had a good time. She sure loves clothes, and I do too!
The next day was Sunday, and to be honest it was a beast. There were long meetings, fasting + PMS, and no seeing my family enough. It was not restful at all. But after we got the kids in bed we just cuddled and talked. We fell asleep cuddling - it was everything a marriage should be. That feeling continued the next day. It was a chaotic emotional day. I ended up talking to my sister in law Miriam for a while, and John a bunch of times. Those connections calmed me down. Sometimes I can't believe how erratic I feel. I fell stretched and pulled too tight, but being with John makes me loosen and relax.
The crazy feeling wasn't helped when the next day Trump won the Presidential election. I couldn't believe it! Still can't, to be honest. It feels like Trump being the president has figuratively turned our nation's politics into a dumpster fire. His decisions and policies have made me carry around a low key panic for months. I hope it turns out okay, and we can just endure the next 4 years.
Yet, life carries on. I went to Thanksgiving point with Jenessa. She is so fun and easy to talk to. Darcy still says crazy things:
K: Did you know Daddy is a silly goose.
D: No, he is a stinky goose!
Another day Eliza told me that I am one of her favorite people, and it felt like a payday as a mom. I also loved playing games with the Jacobsons. Although I might have gushed a little too much about Crash Landing on You. That Saturday we spent the entire day squaring the pool. I tell ya, so so much leveling. I really hope we can enjoy it for years. Holland did so much better at her chores. I feel like we are slowly turning a corner with her.
That week we worked everyday as much as we could on the pool. It is hard when it is just me, and John is at work. You couldn't even really see a difference, but it was there.
On Tuesday Erica came to visit! Darcy was so excited to see Brielle. They played so well. and Brielle loved the shake that I made for lunch. That evening Miriam had a fantastic band concert. Sometimes I forget that she learning the clarinet, but she totally does it.
| Playing a new game that our friend Jeff helped create. It is a good one! |
| Planted all the bulbs by myself because we were so busy with the pool together. |
| Eliza started some new skin meds from the dermatologist. This is her before photo. Google photos likes to include this photo in all of the things which makes me giggle a little. |
| So much work led to this point. All of the directions leveled. Well mostly. It isn't perfect, but it is as close as we could get it. It was a beast to do. |
| Holland's cute hair before church. |
| Taking a photo to help remember proper hand position on her bow. |
| Ice skating for a YW activity! It was mainly fun because Miriam was there and hung out with me. |
| Sleepy girl |
| Preschool trio |
| The before photo of lego desk. |
| The After lego desk picture! |
| We had to redo the slats around the intake and return four times. It was so hard to get them in and out too. I felt pretty smart for doing it wrong so many times. |
| Awesome musical number. |
| We finally put in the last couple of slats! We had left them out for better access when we were filling with sand. |
| Amazing music video from our Boston trip. We could only see Ellie for a split second in the background, but she is there. |
| John ran a CFD case to study how the water would churn around the pool. |
| So many screw putting this thing together! John ended up taking two half days to help us finish this project for the winter before the bad weather set in. |
| Time to put the liner in! |
| Starting to fill |
![]() |
| TA-DA! Done for the winter! We did it all in about 3 weeks! SO so much work! |
A funny quote from Darcy: "I like Mommy! She is a cute little fellow!"
Miriam and Ellie talking about what they are going to do differently when I die. Miriam said, "I think I won't eat so many bananas." Oh my gosh Miriam, you don't have to wait until I die to live your truth about bananas! That was such a funny/offensive conversation.
Holland had her parent teacher conference. She is doing so well! I am so proud of her!
One Sunday we put games and massages on the to do list. Just prioritizing that was so so nice. And I love just chatting with Darcy, "Momma, do you want to hold hands?" (While we were walking down the stairs.) "Obviously they are making a cornfield for chickens." (about some construction workers). And jut when she puckers her lips so big at me for a kiss.
Holland still keeps up the "would you rather?" questions. This one made me laugh out loud though: "Would you rather be married to a Gadianton Robber or have 5 pet snakes?"
One Sunday Darcy woke up and threw up. Thankfully no one else got sick. That same day Miriam taught YW. She did great!
The next day we didn't have MCO or the pool to work on, so that made it so relaxing although it meant a lot of catch up work. I did take a few minutes to just read a book though which was so nice! Darcy exclaimed that day, "We're all purse girls cause everyone has a purse!" Poor John is always getting left out.
The next couple of days were spent cleaning up our house. We had neglected things a lot while we were doing the pool, so it was time to face those consequences. We also picked up stuff to host the Pearsons for Thanksgiving Dinner. Thankfully I listened to a super fun audiobook throughout - The Romcommers by Katherine Center. I listened to a lot of audiobooks during the pool project. I cranked up the audio speed to 2x so I could relisten to Stormlight #4 before #5 came out.
The next day we hosted the Pearsons for Thanksgiving dinner. It is so much work, but we ended up having plenty of yummy food. Before dinner and everyone came, we paused and did massages. So relaxing! Darcy told us, "I am thankful for meat...and turkey!" It was a little frustrating because I spent more days prepping than people spent hours here. People like to take off after about 2 hours, and for sure it was like a 3 day prep. Oh well, every family is different.
The next day we went to Marc and Miriam's house for the Deru get together. I loved playing Hand and Foot. Everyone just jokes around and has a great time. The meal was so good too. I skipped most of it and just had 3 yummy salads, half and orange roll, and some pie.
Holland told John, Darcy and me, "I am feeling a little peckish." and gave each of us a little cheek peck. Darcy responded with " I am a little Jewish."
The day after the Thanksgiving festivities, we spent a bunch of time getting ready for Christmas. Holland told us, "It looks like Christmas exploded in here!"






No comments:
Post a Comment