Monday, February 27, 2023

Christmas 2021 + Kylee's Birthday + New Years + 15th Anniversary


I love Christmas time! It is so fun, happy, and full of excitement. I love how we have started the tradition of gifts of togetherness. We have a different family activity every day throughout the holidays. It is a little tricky to not plan so much that we get overwhelmed, but just enough that we love the extra time together doing holiday things. 

Gifts of togetherness envelopes.  I don't think the kids realize how much effort this is to put together, but I hope they remember some of the Christmas fun and magic.

The first couple days is Christmas decorating. I remember doing this exact thing--laying under the tree to look up at the lights. We had to get a new tree this year that would fit in our non-vaulted ceilings. It is definitely smaller, and we have several unused ornaments.

Kick off party with a surprise present. Matching jammies!

December 1st party with new stories around the Christmas tree.


Not a gift of togetherness activity, but also during this time we did our passport applications. We were told we had to have neutral expressions and not show teeth in our photos. One of us was non compliant. 

There was so much snow in December! It was one of the snowiest on record. I don't understand how we are still in such a severe drought, but apparently it didn't really help. Regardless, it was a lot of fun to see and play in. It was so beautiful at times. One of my favorite times with the snow was reading a book under a blanket in the living room. The kids were at school and Darcy was sleeping. The snow was falling soft, but huge flakes. It was beautiful and peaceful. 

Unfortunately this is also the time when we started to get sick. And we didn't just get sick. My sister, Kayla, described it as an atomic bomb of germs exploded at our house. I really just wanted to wave a flag of surrender. You win, Utah germs. We lose. There was one week where I took a kid to the doctor every single day for different things...strep throat, pink eye, ear infection, another pink eye, another ear infection. It was bananas. It seemed like we got sick with everything except covid. 



The overwhelming sicknesses sure put a damper on our holiday festivities, but we managed to do a few fun things. The countdown candle is a fun easy one. 

Playing in the snow. We made a small sledding track next to our driveway. Miriam went around the cul de sac and knocked on everyone's door to see if anyone wanted to come sled our on 'hill.' She's adorable. The bishop and his 16 year old daughter were her only takers. :)

Santa shakes with peppermint ice cream!

Seeing the lights at the Riverwood shopping mall.


We accidentally forgot shoes for Darcy. I tried to angle my sleeves so I was holding her tiny feet up my coat sleeves. I felt so bad. 



Settlers and snacks, my fave.







Beautiful sleeping angel.

Crazy hair day at school. 

Blue, red, and purple hair chalk.

My sleeping baby.

Twinners!

Darcy loved her "Doe, duit"

We had to get winter gear for all of the kids. It was kind of pricey, but had to be done. John and I got boots too.

Playing in the snow in our own yard.

Making cinnamon popcorn to deliver to hopefully new friend in the ward.

Pretty sunset with lights on our house.
Ellie loved her new school choir. This was their Christmas concert. She did great. The teacher said she could move up to the next choir the following semester.

 


The did a fun number at the end where they stood in the aisles with all of the choirs and sang together holding fake candles. It was sweet.



Darcy going to nurse her baby doll?

Sleepy twinners.

Since Darcy started walked non stop she needed shoes. She loved the night that we did a little try on session with her. We couldn't believe that her little feet were already too big for some of the little shoes. I guess that is what we get with a late walker!

She clearly felt a little uncomfortable walking with these things on her feet. She walked pretty awkwardly at first with her shoes, but figured it out in no time. Six months later, she is now in full swing on putting on everyone's shoes, trying to put on her own shoes, and loves to hold "gocks" while getting a diaper change for some reason? 

Actually apparently she liked to put on other people's shoes pretty quickly too. Cute new snowboots for big "titter."



Candlelit dinner for the darkest day of the year, December 21st. So fancy!

Momma is 35! I woke up to these smiling faces and some creme brulee french toast, a favorite at our house. 
We did some self pampering and did facials and pedicures.

Momma getting lovely cards by my little ones.

I love how many times Holland wrote the word 'so' on my cards from her. Eliza and Miriam always surprise me with their creativity!
This dessert was amazing! Samoa's chocolate pudding dessert with coconut and caramel. Yes, please.
So many nice things for my birthday and Christmas. New boots, facial things, etc. Sometimes I feel bad I can't quite remember what I received for those holidays, but it was all things that I had asked for. John and the girls are so good to me.



White Christmas at our own house!


My parents came down for Christmas Eve and Christmas morning. We did our little nativity. It was a bit of a circus.

Rice pudding! Grandma got the almond!


Late at night the Christmas tree is all ready for the morning. 

Meanwhile, John and my dad were putting together the dome in the basement. It was a bit of project and we were glad to have my dad's help.

Christmas morning waiting for my parents to get ready.

They are finally ready! Time to come downstairs!

But wait, one more picture in front of the tree.

Darcy got a baby doll and a new towel, but she liked Holland's new ladybug carry on suitcase the best.

It is pretty adorable. Especially that girl with it. 

I don't know why we have so many pictures of Darcy opening presents. She didn't even enjoy it that much. 

The other girls were excited to receive a selection of Calico Critters. 

Daddy's hat!

After everyone was done opening presents, we did a scavenger hunt throughout the house that eventually led them to the basement. I loved the video that we got when we caught the moment they first saw it. :)

Tired baby after all the excitement.

Will I ever get tired of sleepy baby photos? No, I will not.

Sneaking through the gap in the fence to go to church.


A couple more advent activities after Christmas. We have to use up some Halloween candy, so we have to make a gingerbread house. 

It was quite the collaborative creation. 

Not proud of it at all...:)

Darcy has gotten into such a hat phase. I love it. Even though some of the hats aren't quite the right size.

Spying on someone in the shower. Glass doors don't help with modesty.

John and I took a landscaping class from the USU extension service. It was so interesting to go through. We truly have the weirdest lot, so it was helpful to take our time going through the different steps and be thoughtful about our choices. It has even evolved a bit since we finished our class, but for the most part we are sticking with what we outlined in the class.


Another advent: making a Christmas craft. Turns out glitter and toilet paper rolls makes quite the beautiful ornament.

We love Christmas advent!

One day when there was lots of fresh snow, we had to go sledding!

The snow was lovely and the baby was darling.

The sled can fit 2-3 people. It was pretty great.

I love that my girls are friends.

Honestly, so stinkin cute!

Snowman with Daddy!

This was a good time!

Last advent: New Year's Eve party! Seven layer dip is a must.


Darcy liked it too!

Banana splits!

Puzzle time.

15 years! I can't believe that came so quickly!

What are we going to do when we hit 21 years? We'll run out of fingers! I don't really want to include toes. :)

Darcy loves this little toy that she can put cheerios in. In her opinion it is the best way to eat cheerios.

Fondue in celebration! John wrote me the sweetest note for the occasion. I orchestrated some fun things for us too, but we're calling the Panama Canal cruise our big 15 year celebration. It was pretty epic. I am so lucky to have John. I am grateful for him everyday.










No comments: