Sunday, October 2, 2016

Having Fun vs. Having Joy




It is conference weekend and this morning President Russell M. Nelson spoke about joy. He reminded us that we can find joy in the Savior no matter our earthly circumstances. While he was speaking, I started to consider the difference between having joy and having fun. Earlier in my life I thought those words were interchangeable. Now I find that joy is something much more precious, even though these pictures and events that I am recording are mostly of us having fun. I find joy in the seeing the innocence of my children, like Miriam making up songs and dancing or just dancing to the music in the store. I find joy in seeing their delight in small things--like gluing random stuff together to make a creation. I love it.


We did these creations at this IDEA Museum. We visited this museum in August when my mom was visiting. My mom coming to visit us is getting harder and harder as my grandparents have increasingly failing health. It is so sad to see them decline so much from what I remember them being. My grandpa is in a Veteran's home near my parents' home. My mom takes my grandma over to visit him every day. The reality of what happens to an old person as they near death is shocking to me. I have never really been close to someone who has gone through this process before. It is a stark contrast to my little girls that are overflowing with life and energy.

There was a fun baby section of this museum that had a socks-only area with a smaller area for just babies. I went in with Holland and got scolded several times by a little boy who kept reminding me that it was only for babies. 

There was a fun green screen where the backgrounds could be drawn. There was a black light room, lots of crafts, and even a clothes designing area. What a fun day!

Also while Grandma was visiting, we watched my friend's little girl and, because my mom was here, we even ventured out. My mom also made a matching quilt to the girls' beds for Holland. My mom definitely never goes halfway at anything.

Happy birthday to the best daddy in the world! 33! We love our birthday traditions, as well as some goofy faces. Those cheesy church commercials are right--family really is about time together. "Isn't it about ... time?"
John enjoyed his bump on the head.

Miriam and I making goofy faces.

Because of John's birthday we used his free birthday burger and went to Red Robin on the last day of the month. :) The kids were thrilled to each pick out their own little meal (we really don't eat out very often). Also, when did they get big enough that we have to buy something individually for each of them?? It was freezing there so they were snuggling on the bench. Holly is my sweater (as in she sweats a lot) so I hope she was fine in her summer romper. She really loved playing with the wet wipe we gave her to play with. Towards the end though the girls were all getting crazy, so I had to leave with them while John paid the bill. Crazy kids. They really do bring us so much happiness and joy.




No comments: