Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Busy Independence Day Weekend

We had a wonderful Fourth of July weekend. It all started out with a camping trip to Jordanelle Reservoir with Glenn and Andrea and their little son Brayden. We didn't have a reservation for a camping site so we ended up getting one that you had to carry all of your stuff to--about 3/4 of a mile, give or take. This is what Ellie did while we were hauling the stuff. We had a good evening. The bugs weren't too bad. We even saw a badger, which was a lot bigger than I had imagined. However the two kids had a hard time getting to sleep. Normally if Ellie cries for a bit, she'll eventually goes to sleep. This wasn't the case that night. She got upset enough that she ended up throwing up all over herself and John. Fortunately I had extra warm clothes for Ellie. This is the happy girl when she woke up in the morning. The very two large tents on one tent pad. This proximity was why the kids kept each other up in previous evening.Here are the kiddos playing. Brayden is almost exactly four months younger than Ellie. Later in the morning we went out on Jordanelle on Glenn and Andrea's boat. The kids got kind of sleepy during the boat ride. We got home in time to dump our camping stuff and pack some other clothes to take up to my parents' house. We stopped at Anna's other grandparents' house for a birthday party for her. The highlight of the part for Ellie was the kiddy pool that they had set up. The highlight for us was the yummy dinner, homemade ice cream, and fun company.

Then it was up to my parent's house. We spent the night there and went to church with them. My mom has a rose in her garden called, 'Ellie's Rose.' I thought it was appropriate to get a picture with it.
That night was another party for the Fourth of July. Anna had a fun cake to blow out the candles. Here is my cute family. I love Jane's expression in this one.And a couple more of them.
After dinner and more homemade ice cream there was fireworks. Ellie LOVED the sparklers. She was more stunned by the rest of the fireworks. The next day we played some more at Grandma and Grandpa's house. They had a very fun bucket that Ellie wore for about 1/2 an hour. Then it was off to Antelope Island for a fun picnic lunch.
I thought it was so cute when I looked over and saw Ellie following my grandpa back to the car. He is so cute with her.
We got a great tour of the ranch by my grandparents. They volunteered there for a few years.

What a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

patti said...

That last picture is really neat! I love the reflection of the mountains when you're out there. What a fun weekend! You guys are troopers. I'm not sure after the Lake Powell experience I would've been camping again this summer ;)

JuliebG said...

Wow, what a busy weekend. I think I have decided that its not that Madeleine couldn't handle camping and all the other trips that you take with Ellie, it's her mommy who couldn't handle Madeleine handling it. You guys have nerves of steal!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

I knew you had a packed weekend but I didn't realize HOW packed. Wow! It was so fun to see you guys and talk to you Saturday. Thanks for coming up! And thank you again for dinner-- we've got it in our freezer to save for the right day. You are so thoughtful!