Thursday, May 22, 2014

Saguaro National Park

March was kind of rough for a while, due to a sickness that hit me and the kids like a ton of bricks. Unwisely I decided that I didn't want to go to the doctor about it because it seemed just like a cold at first. I was just feeling poor and didn't want to spend more than $100 being told I have a cold and to come back if it gets worse. Well, it got worse.

Our cold developed into ear infections for all of us. Our ears hurt so bad! It made me feel terrible for all of those babies with ear infections. Our illness was a combination of an ear infection, really sore and swollen throat, and a never-ending cough. I had a terrible time sleeping for about a week and would take benedryl at night to help me stay asleep. I also really pushed the boundaries of how much ibuprofen one person is allowed to take. But I made it through without going to the doctor!!! So stupid. The irony was that we ended up going to the doctor for Ellie at the very, very end because she had some other issues going on too. This was where we found out for sure it was a strep infection and an ear infection.  How fun...not. I am so glad that John miraculously did not get sick from all of us. What a blessing!

I felt bad because my mom came down here for a visit just when the sickness was starting up. We still had a fun time while she was here though. We went to the temple with her and my dad, which was so nice. We also went to Saguaro National Park down by Tucson. John took his first ever vacation day and joined us. It was so fun. 

We had lunch at this scenic picnic area. Phoenix has these sturdy picnic tables that were built during the Depression by the CCC (I think). It has been interesting to see them. Cacti have become a lot cooler to us since we moved to AZ.

 
This Saguaro tunnel was pretty awesome, even ask Ellie. :)


Eliza loves her daddy. Miriam does too. Sometimes they wake up after John has already left for work in the morning, and all I get is, "I want Daddy." Poor kids. They have to make do with Mom most of the time. :)


I have been a little fascinated with this cactus called Ocotillo. It looks so ugly most of the time, just like some dead, grey, pokey sticks. But then in the Spring they blossom this really beautiful, vibrant orange color. It sure seems like all of the blossoms down here are so bright, no matter what the plant is.

More orange blossoms from a different kind of cactus. Probably some kind of cholla. It seems like they are all chollas of some kind. Pencil cholla, Teddy bear cholla, Spider leg cholla, etc.

I thought this was a pretty Saguaro. They are a lot taller than you think.


This other one is a little more crazy. The most arms we counted on one Saguaro was eleven.



This is what the kids really want to do, almost always. Play in the dirt.

Look how big the Saguaro is next to us.

At the end of our sightseeing day we went to a picnic area and had dinner. For the main dish we chopped veggies (like broccoli, potatoes, asparagus, brussel sprouts, onion, carrots, etc.) and seasoned them with olive oil and salt and pepper. Then we wrapped them up in foil and cooked them just like you would a hobo dinner, just vegetarian and way healthier. Win! :) Of course we had to make up for the healthier campfire dinner with s'mores for dessert. I know the picture isn't focused on the s'more but you get the idea. :) Just marshmallows and graham crackers for little Ellie. Silly goose. The chocolate is the best part!
 

After dinner we were treated to a beautiful AZ sunset. What a fun day!
The kids wanted to be Saguaro cacti.





No comments: