Sunday, October 11, 2020

Miriam 9th birthday

I can't believe this wonderful little girl is 9 years old! Because her birthday is just a couple weeks after Darcy's, her birthday right after Darcy's birth was a little bit harder than it usually is. Thanks to John's parental leave we still managed to do our traditions though: decorations, take pictures, presents, and yummy food. 
The girls were on a German pancake kick at the time. So Miriam's requested breakfast was chocolate German pancakes. For lunch and dinner she requested her standbys: mac and cheese for lunch and green bean salad with breadsticks for dinner. She asked for an ice cream cake this time, and designed what flavors she wanted for the layers.
She asked for one big present which was a desk. Thankfully we kind of wanted to get her one anyway. In addition to that, we got her some pool toys for our little backyard pool. There we got her some rings to swim through, and some darts to throw in the water. The darts have been the most fun because it turns out if you have them in your hand above the water and then kind of slap the water with them, releasing them at the same time, they shoot through the water and pop back up. I don't know if that description makes sense.
Miriam was also completely spoiled by Uncle Daniel. She had just discovered the movies, How to Train Your Dragon. Coincidentally, he sent her the entire book series. She loves them! She really only had discovered the movies the week before. But liked th enough that she had asked at the last minute to get one of the movies for her birthday. It all worked out and was quite the coincidence. She also received a fun book and treats from Uncle Daniel. He sure spoiled her.

Birthday ice cream cake with a chocolate bottom layer, mint chocolate chips, and vanilla.

And then the big surprise, the new desk! We had been able to play it surprisingly cool about this present, and so it was a pretty good surprise for her. It also worked out really well that she wanted this right when it would be the most useful for her doing online school. It's been absolutely essential.
She got a lamp, a desktop organizer, and a drawer organizer as accessories to her new desk. We ordered her a chair to go with it, but it turns out it was sized perfectly for Holland, and much too short for Miriam's desk. She loved the whole set up.

We just love our Miriam girl. I feel so blessed that she's in our family. She has so much love in her heart for her family. She has such a creative mind, and thinks of things no one else does. Miriam is very determined, when she decides upon something, she's willing to work crazy hard to get it. She doesn't let anything distract her.

Marion has an infectious smile, and a beautiful laugh. She lights up the whole room and it's easy to see why she's a natural leader because people want to follow her shining light.
Miriam is also very empathetic and tries to help others when they're having a hard time.
She still loves audiobooks, but she really likes other regular books too. 
She's done great at adapting to online school. Miriam is responsible and trustworthy. I'm so proud of her.
Miriam has big emotions and is learning how to manage them better with an anger management book. She takes this seriously and is trying to figure out ways to help her handle her emotions.
She's also done well this last year in school with speech therapy. She's learning how to pronounce her Rs correctly. That's a tricky sound to get right, but she amazes me with her good attitude about practicing.
I know I said this before but she's such a creative soul, and I see her just drawing or creating as she's listening to something else.
At Miriam's 9-year-old check up, she weighed 53.8 lb which is the 15.46% percentile. She was 51.5 in tall which is 36.6% percentile.

Here are some interview questions for Miriam:
Who is your hero? Mommy and Daddy!
If you could live anywhere, where would it be? There is a place in a book called Rumblestar and it helps the weather in our world to exist. They have magic things and dream choices.
What is your biggest fear? My biggest fear is probably that a hurricane or some natural disaster will come to our house and Mommy and Daddy and the rest of the family except me would die.
What is your favorite family vacation? Disneyland first. Then the camping trips we went on when I was little, I remember enjoying those a whole lot. I also like the present trips from Grandma, like Bear River Lodge. I also love Lake Powell.
What is one of your favorite things about yourself? I'm really glad I like reading. I wouldn't be satisfied or have enough entertainment to get me through the day without reading.
What really makes you angry? A lot of things really make me angry. I definitely have a temper. I hate it when I'm falsely accused, or when I'm accused of something I did do but I'm trying to keep it a secret.I eventually give in and tell them that I did it, but it's hard for me to do that.
What motivates you to work hard? When I get a reward afterward. Like if I'm told I get a reward if I do something within 2 hours, then I really work hard to get the reward.
What is your favorite thing about school? In online school I can mute everyone and we have a lot more access to other things we wouldn't have access to before.
What is your favorite book? The one I am in the middle of.
What is your favorite movie? I really like the live version of Cinderella.
What is your favorite song? My favorite song is Good King Wencelous.

What is your favorite thing to do with your sisters? On rare occasions we play a make-believe game together the whole thing, and I think that's really fun. I also like playing regular games together.
What is your favorite activity? My favorite activity is probably playing a game with my family, especially if I win. I also really like listening to audio books and reading.
What is your favorite place in the world? I'm going to have to say Lake Powell. The slot canyons are my favorite.
Miriam keeps us laughing. She says some of the funniest, craziest stuff sometimes.



"Holland's enthusiasm was contagious. We were contaged by her."

This was a funny conversation:
Miriam: the thing I wish that was actually real is broomsticks. 
Ellie: yeah that would be awesome. 
Miriam: yeah, and it wouldn't even matter if we fell off because I don't want seat belts. 
Ellie: I want a lap belt but not a back belt. 
"But going to church is one way I keep my faith strong." It's been a weird year of not going to church. But there are definitely amazing things about church at home.

"When I grow up I want to marry someone just like daddy." Little sweetheart. Marrying someone like Daddy is an excellent idea.

"Husbands first, because husbands are normally burned first." I don't remember what she was referring to, but this made me laugh so hard.

"I would tell on you if you stole a car." Miriam has a very strong sense of right and wrong. She would tell on you if you stole a car.

Although, she also told us this one day. "I come up with plenty of ways to steal things from stores."

"My goal is to keep you alive until my children have a memory of you." Our girls have perfected the unintentional burn. 

"Is this your Apple core?" (Adams Apple) I still love those adorable mix-ups, it shows she's just still learning.
We love you sweet girl! We're so grateful you're in our family! Keep being the wonderful, kind, smart, thoughtful, amazing, faithful, lovely girl you are!
 

No comments: