Sunday, January 4, 2015

A week in a hotel

So for a one week this summer we got kicked out of our apartment because they found mold on the interior of our walls when they came in to fix the a/c. (Seriously so glad we are renting, so it didn't cost us anything extra!) So at first we thought we would have to be out the rest of the day, then it was just that night. Then it became 2 maybe 3 nights, which turned into 6 nights which actually ended up being 5 nights. Needless to say it was crazy. We were let back in for an hour to pack clothes, toys, and food to be in a hotel for a while.

We stayed at La Quinta. The hotel itself was nice enough. They had a free breakfast that was pretty good. The hard part was that there was no mini fridge or microwave. There were two full beds and a bathroom that didn't lock. Basically it was just hard living in a hotel with no kitchen or separate bedrooms for the kids, or even a way to do naps or quiet time. When we found out after the third night that they thought it would be three more nights, John and I got so grumpy. At nighttime we would hang out in the bathroom while the kids fell asleep. We played poker in the bathroom while we were waiting. What I learned--no one should ever really gamble. Sure you'll win sometimes, but you'll also lose. 

For meals we ate a lot of sandwiches and cereal. We took a cold chest and brought milk and fruit and veggies in it. I did some crafts with the kids, and spent a lot of time at the library. However spending a week at the hotel was not fun at all. All of the inconvenience of not having your home to live in, without the enjoyment of doing fun things while you are vacationing. It did make me appreciate my apartment though! I love being able to clean when I feel like something is dirty, and being more in control of my surroundings. Thankfully though, the management reimbursed us for the hotel.

I got desperate to entertain the kids--the TV didn't work and the internet was spotty. So we played with the camera for a while one day. They did have a pool though, which is always fun.

From my journal:

One exciting thing right now is that we are officially trying to have a baby. I am only telling my journal, but I am pretty excited, which is a huge blessing. Up to this point the thought of getting pregnant has made me a little sick with dread, but now really feels like the right time. Such a blessing!

No comments: